Tuesday, November 3, 2009

10/28 Music

I love music. I cannot imagine the world without it. Music has been an important part of history and entertainment for people all over the planet. Slaves used music and spirituals to cope with their everyday struggles. During the 1920's, new innovative music styles and jazz created fun dance music for flappers. And who can forget the disco era? Music can be traced throughout history and identified with different important time periods. Music also varies widely in the different parts of the world. People in Africa are listening to different music than people here in the United States. There is a huge culture difference in different areas or regions of the world, and music helps demonstrate that.
I believe that you can tell a lot about a person just by knowing what kind of music they like to listen to. I'm not saying that certain kinds of people only listen to certain kinds of music, but in many cases, you can determine moods and personalities of individuals just by going through their iPods. I know that when I'm upset or sad, I like to listen to rap or rock to drowned out all the million different thoughts I have going on in my head. The music somehow takes my mind off of everything going on in life and gives me an alternate reality to live in for a little while. When I'm feeling happy and everything seems to be almost perfect, I listen to country or upbeat tunes. It is waaay too depressing to listen to sad love songs when I'm already half depressed and discouraged with life, so I might even want to listen to an inspirational or motivating feel-good song when I'm upset, just to remind me that there will be better days.
Music is an important part of society. It can be heard everywhere. In cars driving down the road, movies, elevators and lobbies, restraunts, etc. The world would be a very boring and sad place without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment