Tuesday, November 17, 2009

11/13 Punk: Attitude.

I was not very excited about watching this video when the class first chose to watch it. I have never really been a big fan of rock or punk music. Don't get me wrong, I like some songs, and I have nothing against the genre, I just don't really know much about it and never really cared enough to do anything about it. My older sister is a huge punk/rock fan. She even enjoys the "screamo" music or whatever it's called, so I was forced to listen to it when I was younger and she drove us everywhere. Surprisingly though, I really enjoy the video. It's interesting to learn about the different people and the history behind a genre of music. I like learning about how it got started and where it all took place. The attitudes of these punk people are ver siimilar to the attitudes of a lot of young people of that generation..even this generation in fact. At first, punk meant "a fucked up guy in prison. Rebellion." Punk-rock music came into existence when angry, frustrated people just wanted to be heard. They used lots of curse words and did a lot of screaming and yelling rather than singing. Many of the first punk bands came from England. People were angry about and sick of the Vietnam War in the 1960's. There was a lot of feelings and repressed attitudes that people began expressing.
CBGB's was one of the only places that punk groups could actually get up and play in front audiences. Bands such as Television and Patti Smith played here. Most of the bands weren't even very good! But that wasn't the point. They weren't there to be great. They put bands together to express how they felt in a fucked up world and to have fun playing music because it is what they liked to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment